The articles are focused on explaining Dungeons & Dragons in its current edition – 5th edition or 5E – but often reference earlier versions of the game to give a historical context for the rules.
D&D is a game I’ve been playing for over thirty years now and has given me countless hours of entertainment. I hope it entertains you and your friends in a similar manner!
Articles about how the game works:
- Visualising Combat – playing D&D with or without miniatures
- Combat in Dungeons & Dragons – a look at the structure of combat
- Hit Points and Healing – an introduction to how they work
- Marching Order – how should a party arrange itself when exploring?
- Skills and Proficiencies – an introduction to how they work
- Spell Casting in Dungeons & Dragons
- Stealth, Hiding and Surprise
- How Armour Class Works
- Spellcasting in Combat – Clarifications and Restrictions
- Attacks, the Attack Action and Extra Attacks
- The Ranger’s Companion
- Choosing the right ranged weapon – rules and advice
- Running from Battle
- When to say “No.”
- What to play after finishing the Starter Set
- Designing a Basic Dungeon
- Entering the Wilderness: Hex-Based Exploration
- Entering the Wilderness: Trail-Based Exploration
- Entering the Wilderness: Maps without Hex-grids
- Writing Adventure Notes
An Introduction to the Forgotten Realms
- Recent History
- The Sword Coast
- The Time of Troubles
- Gods of Good
- Gods of Neutrality
- Gods of Evil
- Gods of Hillsfar and Elventree
The Starter Set Adventure: The Lost Mine of Phandelver
These are reports on what happened when I ran the Starter Set adventure with my groups; you may find them enlightening as to how the game might play.
- Afraid of Goblins? (Session 1)
- Back to the Goblin Cave (Session 2)
- Trouble with Ruffians (Session 3)
- Quests and Queries (Session 4)
- Cragmaw Castle (Session 5)
These are advice columns on what is in each episode, as well as play reports.
- Episode 1 (session 1, session 2)
- Episode 2 (session 3, session 4)
- Episode 3 (session 5, session 6)
- Episode 4 (session 7, session 8, session 9, session 10)
- Episode 5 (session 11)
- Episode 6 (session 12, session 13 & 14)
- Episode 7 (session 15)
- Episode 8 (session 16, session 17, session 18)
Curse of Strahd
Session reports and advice on running Curse of Strahd.